Hollywood's hottest secret is here.
Micro-needling is one of the newest treatments offered at Bethany Medical Clinic. Also called Collagen Induction Therapy, micro-needling is a minimally-invasive, non-surgical procedure for facial rejuvenation. It uses micro-needles to created tiny, controlled punctures. These "micro-wounds" trigger the body to produce new collagen and elastin in the deeper levels of the skin, as well as forming new capillaries. The new collagen leads to a reduction of scars, improved skin texture, firmness and hydration.
Professional skin needling is considered to be one of the safest skin treatment procedures. Unlike chemical peels, dermabrasion and laser treatments, skin needling causes minimal damage to the skin.
- Reducing scars (including atrophic scars) caused by acne, surgery or thermal burns
- Fading stretch marks
- Reducing fine lines and deep wrinkles
- Tightening sagging skin
- Correcting discoloration
Frequently Asked Questions
How many skin needling procedures does one need?
It depends, but usually 3-4 sessions. Deep scars and stretch marks (striae) may require up to 5 procedures.In the case of wrinkles associated with aging skin, one or two refresher skin needling treatments are recommended every year.
What is the skin needling procedure like?
The procedure is well tolerated. It takes a few minutes up to an hour to complete, depending on the area to be treated and the severity of the problem. Here’s some info about the procedure:
- No lotions, makeup or other topical products are applied on the treatment area on the day of the procedure.
- The medical professional then applies a numbing cream (topical) on the treatment area or injects local anesthetic.
- The skin is punctured in a specific pattern using a skin needling device. The device is rolled over the skin multiple times for best results.
- As each fine needle punctures the skin, it creates a channel or micro-wound stimulating skin cell regeneration.
- Depending on the condition treated it may take 5-60 minutes to complete the procedure.
- A minimum of six weeks is recommended between two treatments as it takes that long for new natural collagen to form.
What is the post-procedural care?
Sun protection for several weeks is recommended. In the case of acne scars, after the skin needling procedure, the face should be cleaned with a gentle cleanser before bed. The next day, the face may be cleansed and makeup, lotions and other topical products applied as usual. Emollients or antibiotic creams may be prescribed, if considered necessary, and rejuvenation of skin may be seen as soon as 2 weeks and as long as 6-8 months after the medical procedure.
Are there any side effects from skin needling?
Generally the treated areas recover rapidly from skin needling. However there are occasional side effects, which include:
- Oozing and swelling during the recovery phase.
- Skin infection with bacteria (rare) or herpes simplex virus (cold sores).
- Milia, which can be easily removed.
- Acne flare, which is usually mild.